Sunday, August 16, 2009

Crashing Waves

I tried to head up into the mountains this evening, but the road was closed and you could smell the smoke from the fires that are currently burning in Olympic National Park. As close as I could get to the top was about 2500 ft.



Since I couldn't make it to the top I drove back down to sea level and drove west on Hwy 101 then hugged the coast for a few miles on Hwy 112 until I got to Camp Hayden Rd and a small county park called Salt Creek. It is a place a lot of tourists don't know about, but a place so very much worth a stop. I mentioned before that when the tide is out there are tide pools that are just full of colorful life and when the tide is in the waves crashing are beautiful. Also the park has some WWII history as it had guns that protected the coast from attack. The bunker and the area where the guns were placed are still there. You actually drive through them with your car now.


The view from the bench where I was enjoying my evening.

1 comment:

Gretchyn said...

Oh man -- this make me miss HOME. Salt Creek was one of the first places Jim and I went camping. LOVE IT THERE!